Ten Steps to Improve Battery Life on your iPhone 4S
Adrian Kingsley-Hughes has come up with a set of tips and advices to help iPhone 4S’ users “squeeze more out of each charge”.
1. Readjust screen brightness (Settings > Brightness): the default settings are practical when the iPhone used outdoors, otherwise, the screen light can be dimmed.
2. Auto-Lock the screen (Settings > General > Auto-Lock): To conserve the battery life, you can turn off the screen after a short while of standby. Adrian Kingsley-Hughes suggests one minute or two.
3. Adjust connectivity settings (Settings > General > Network / Settings > General > Bluetooth / Settings > WiFi.): enable just what you need. While adjusting WiFi, don’t forget to turn off Ask to Join Networks. You can enable this feature again when necessary.
4. Switch to Airplane Mode (Settings): the easiest way to disable all the radios at once. With this mode active, you can selectively turn on Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, if needed.
5. Turn off location services you don’t need (Settings > General > Location Services). The Location Services brought by iOS 5 “uses GPS along with crowd-sourced Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower locations to determine your approximate location”, as Apple announces. You can imagine the effect on battery.
6. Manage Notifications (Settings > Notifications). ZDNet reviewer recommends two steps for doing that. First you should switch off Notification Center, then switch off View in Lock Screen to control apps visible on Lock Screen.
7. Disable diagnostics (Settings > General > About > Diagnostics & Usage). The setting on this should be “Don’t send”.
8. Avoid the cloud (Settings > iCloud). Yes, this is a sacrifice but synchronizing to iCloud eats a lot of battery life, keep it to the minimum with only the apps you are actually use.
9. Manage apps. Is a well known fact that the more apps are running in the background the more power is drained. Be merciless; kill whatever apps you don’t need on regular basis.
10. The toughest step of all: turn the handset off. Press and hold the top button until the “Slide to power off: instruction appears, then slide to power off.